Community discussion

1st day post-op bilateral hallux valgus correction (I work in child protection in the only specialist role, so…

Archive date 11 archived replies

1st day post-op bilateral hallux valgus correction (I work in child protection in the only specialist role, so have a client list which only I can work with so it was best for me to have just the one period off before my waiting list becomes unmanageable). Managing pain with co-codamol and ibuprofen at the moment which is only in my left foot. I’m managing to walk the short distance to the toilet with my step shoes and crutches. Bum shuffled up the stairs to bed last night and then husband picked me up to sit on the bed Bunions don’t look severe, but I’ve had them since a teenager and do a lot of hiking which has been problematic for the past 10 years, although Hanwag alta bunion II boots really helped and highly recommend. Also have arthritis in both big toes which the Consultant recommended I hold off and have fused when I’m older (I’m 44). I’m in Wales, UK. Any questions please ask

Archived from Bunion Support Group. View the original discussion on Facebook (sign-in may be required).

Community replies

11 in this archive

The visible discussion was fully captured at the time of collection.

Community comment#1

Good morning, how you feeling? I’ve just had the same as you only 1 foot though, The reason is because of arthritis fingers crossed its worked. I’m nearly 2 weeks in and take no more pain killers now 🤗 Have another 4 weeks in my walking shoe now.

Community comment#2

You can use load shifting sandals and walk

Community comment#3

Hope your healing journey goes well! Make sure not to push yourself too hard. A bit of pain is completely normal. I can't imagine having both feet done at once. I hated not being mobile but I wish I had done mine both at once because I am not thrilled at having to do it again but I will be. Feel free to ask if you have any questions as you heal. Best to you!

Community comment#4

I live on Cardiff . Did you have it on the NHS ?

Community comment#5

Im meeting a surgeon tomorrow, similar job, age, active life, and had them since childhood, also contemplating having both done for less time off. Will see what he says, hoping for MIS. I hope your recovery and end result meet your expectations

Community comment#6

Estimated down time?

Falcon7520 I did. Been on the waiting list since December 2024, with previous delays and a last minute cancellation due to anaesthetist availability.

ResilientDachshund1061 well, I had a rough weekend and the 8/500 cocodamol i had was doing nothing, had stronger from out of hours Sunday and felt much better Tuesday so I ended up over doing it! 🤦‍♀️ Spend yesterday in a lot of pain and unable to walk as well as I had and still struggling walking well today, but pain is more manageable. Glad to hear yours is going well and hope you continue to recover positively… good luck to getting rid of the walking shoe! 😁

I’ve learnt my lesson to not over do it.. won’t be making that mistake again! I’m glad I’ve had them done together, at least it’s all out of the way in one go. It is a lot more challenging than I anticipated though… I thought I’d be able to walk about and stand better than I am currently, hopefully I will be soon! Are you booked to have the other one done yet? How has your recovery been with the operated one?

DippyEggs43 I see the surgeon in October. The left foot that was done is doing great. I can barely remember what it was like to be non-weight bearing for what seemed like forever back then. I am sure it is hard to do things for you right now. Hugs!! But you are right that it is done now. That in itself is something to praise. It took from March 20th til the end July for swelling to stop completely. I was told swelling can last up to a year. I am careful to wear supportive tennis shoes with a wide toe box and on a rare occasion my Birkenstocks. I only wear Birkenstocks if I am not going to be walking a lot. My foot tends to ache a little still if I walk in those too much yet. My physical therapist said to wear sandals that have a back strap until I am a year out but it is nearly Fall in Wisconsin so sandals won't be an issue soon as it will be too cold to wear them. I can wait and wear my Birkenstocks next summer more often. I am truly glad I had this surgery. Best to you!

← More Minimally Invasive Bunion Surgery (MIS)